ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in the year 2009. The B.E. Mechanical Engineering program was duly approved by AICTE and affiliated to Anna University. An intake of 60 was sanctioned initially. Subsequently, in the year 2012, an additional intake of 60 was sanctioned. The department activities are fully supported by the dedicated and qualified faculty. The department has well-experienced faculty and staff members of proven track record in the field of Mechanical Engineering. All faculty members are having a minimum teaching experience of 5 years with a minimum qualification of post graduate degree including 4 faculty members with Ph.D qualification. The faculty members in the department are periodically attending workshops and conferences to upgrade their skills. In addition, the department also organizes workshops, seminars, symposiums and Staff development programmes to expose about the recent developments. The SAE India collegiate club has been functioning actively since the academic year 2012-13.
The department imparts the basic knowledge in the areas of Mechanical Engineering including Hydraulics & Fluid Machinery, Thermal Engineering, Manufacturing Technology, Material science, Design of Machine elements, Computer Aided Manufacturing, Industrial Management, etc.,
Under Graduate Programmes
Course Name: B.E Mechanical Engineering
Course Duration: 4 Years
Course Name: B.E Mechatronics
Course Duration: 4 Years
ENGINEERING PRACTICES LAB
The objective of this lab course is to provide exposure to the students with hands on experience on various basic engineering practices in Civil & Mechanical Engineering (i.e. Carpentry, plumbing, sheet metal, welding, lathe and Foundry)
MANUFACTURING TECH LAB 1
The objective of this lab course is to study and practice the various operations that can be performed in lathe, shaper, drilling, milling machines etc. and to equip with practical knowledge required in the core industries.
MANUFACTURING TECH LAB 2
The objective of this lab course is to study and acquired knowledge on various basic machining operations in special purpose machines and its applications in real life manufacture of components in the industry.
THERMAL ENGINEERING LAB 1
The objective of this lab course is to study valve timing- V diagram and performance of IC engines, to study the characteristics of fuels/lubricants used in IC engines and to study the performance of steam generator/turbine.
THERMAL ENGINEERING LAB 2
The objective of this lab course is to study the heat transfer phenomena predict the relevant coefficient using implementation and to study the performance of refrigeration cycle/components
The objective of this lab course is to supplement the principles learnt in kinematics and dynamics of machinery and to understand how certain measuring devices are used for dynamic testing.
METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS LAB
The objective of this lab course is to familiar with different measurement equipments and use of these equipments in quality inspection.
The objective of this lab course is to impart knowledge about the elements and techniques involved in mechatronics systems which are very much essential to understand the emerging field of automation.
The objective of this lab course is to gain practical experience in handling 2D drafting and 3D modeling software systems, to study the features of CNC machine tool, to expose students to modern control systems and to know the applications of various CNC machines like CNC lathe, CNC vertical machining centre, CNC EDM and CNC wire-cut and studying of Rapid prototyping
INDUSTRY ATTACHED LABORATORIES
TVS HARITA TECH SERVE DIGITAL MANUFACTURING AND PRODUCT DESIGN LAB
The objective of this lab course is to
- Create a pool of strong Industry ready talent from the students undergoing training in CATIA and DELMIA software.
- Help them understand concepts in design, various phases and roles that design engineers play in real life.
- Exposing them to CAD-CAM-CAE-PLM-ANALYSIS conceptually and to the relevant software tools to enhance their skills. Expose them to reverse engineering which is the most practised product development practice in India.
- Bridge the gap between Industry requirements and skills taught in CATIA and DELMIA software beyond academic course.
- Teach and build interactive skills and team work in students during their education and making them much more objective when they enter real life.
- Groom engineers who are highly conversant with design processes involving need-finding, ethnographic field work, rapid prototyping and testing.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering has set up a library to support the students as well as the staff members in their academic purpose. It consists of more than 180 volumes of Engineering books, which includes books covering Thermal Engineering, Design, Manufacturing, Inudstrial Engineering, workshop practice, Tribology and Automobile Engineering areas. A lending period of 15 days is allowed for students and lending period of 60 days is allowed for staff members. A reading room of 900 sq.ft area is specially alloted for department library. Working time of department library is from 8.00 AM to 5.00 PM. Significant volumes of reference books are added in the department library every year for the benefit of students and staff members.
NO OF VOLUMES 180
- Vinoth Kumarof 2010-2014 batch has secured FOURTH RANK in the University Exams. He secured CGPA of 9.25 and he was topper among 510 colleges.
- Anumareddy Sukesh Reddyof 2017-2018 batch has secured SIXTEENTH RANK in the University Exams. He secured CGPA of 9.05 and he was topper among 510 colleges.
- Successfully completed research project titled “Design and development of semi automatic portable modular type arc welding robot for fabrication of armor structures” worth 9,69,000/- funded by DRDOunder CARS
- 90%of the students are placed in core companies every year.
- Faculty development programs, workshops and conferences are frequently conducted in promising areas of Mechanical Engineering.
- Industrial visitsand Guest lectures are regularly arranged for all students.
- Our students won First Prize of 30,000/-in “India Design Week Contest” organized by Autodesk & ICT Academy at Sairam Engineering College in the academic year 2017-18.
- Faculties have more than 8 years teaching experience are working in our department.
- 4 Faculty members are qualified with PhDand 2 Faculty members are pursuing D.
- Faculty members are involved in active research in the areas of Composite materials; Metal cutting, Total Quality Management and Electrical Vehicles.
- More than 90 Research papershave been published in reputed international journals and conferences.
- About 28 Research papershave been published by final year students in the academic year 2018-19 alone.
- Funded projects and Consultancy work are being carried out in our department.
- Projects from the department got first place in Smart India Hackathon-2019 & Smart India Hackathon-2020 with cash Prize of Rs.75,000 & Rs.50,000 conducted by MHRD & AICTE.
- MOUs were established with Professional Bodies and Industries such as Harita Techserv Ltd, M/s Geekays Auto components, Chennai, etc.,
- Hands on training provided to the students in the domain of CNC, AutoCAD, Ansys, Creo and Fusion 360 in every semester.
- Active functioning of Design club, Manufacturing club are established and various programmes has been conducted in each of the semester to enhance the student knowledge in the areas of mechanical engineering.
- HARITA TECHSERV Product Design & Digital Manufacturing Lab was established providing job opportunities through Campus placement every year.
- SAE INDIA collegiate clubhas been functioning actively since the academic year 2012-13.
- 28 Prizesin SAEINDIA Tier-II Student Convention and Three prizes in SAEINDIA Tier-III Student Convention in the academic year 2018-19.
- Students have participated and won prizes in National level symposia in each and every semester.
- Active participation with a proto-type model of “AUTOMATIC SHOP FLOOR CLEANER” in the IMTEX 2019 Exhibitionheld at Bangalore and got runner title in the Quiz competition.
- Alumni interactions are arranged periodically in the department to conduct the various events such as Webinar, Guest lecturers & Workshop programme.
- Faculties are very actively participated in the various programmes Such as NPTEL, Coursera and ATAL FDP Programme to upgrade their knowledge in their area of research. This knowledge is very useful for the faculties during the interaction with the students.
- Students are well preparing for the NPTEL Examination in every semester to enhance their knowledge in their area of interest.
- Students are well trained with the various training programme to meet the requirement of placement activities which will always help to achieve the motto of 100% placement achievements in every year.
- Periodically Meetings are conducted among the students and staffs to resolve the various grievances.
- Ragging free environment has been made within the department as well as college to maintain good atmosphere to study in the department.
- Various additional classes are planned in every assessment examinations to improve the slow learners performance which will help in achieving 100% result in the end semester examination.
- Many students from our department are applying for higher studies in various reputed universities all around the world.
- Many students from our departments are actively participated in NSS and YRC Programme in every year.
- Many students from our departments are actively participated in various sports activities in University Zonal level and District level and got appreciation and prizes in the various programmes.
2021-22 (Till odd sem)
|ACADEMIC YEAR||PERCENTAGE OF PLACED STUDENTS||OPTED FOR HIGHER STUDIES||OPTED FOR GOVT.JOBS||OPTED FOR ENTREPRENEURSHIP||DETAILS|
(Till odd sem)
No. of Projects
|No. of Publications||
No. of Patents
|National Conference||International Conference||International Journal|
Professional Body : SAEINDIA
|No. of Activities||Details|
|S.No||NAME OF THE FACULTY||QUALIFICATION||DESIGNATION||EXPERIENCE|
|1||Dr.B.R. RAMESH BAPU||B.E, M.E., Ph.D.||Professor & Principal||25 Years|
|2||Dr. V. JAYASEELAN||B.E, M.E., Ph.D.||Professor & Head||20 Years|
|3||Dr. P. MOHAMED ALI||B.E, M.E., Ph.D.||Professor||36 Years|
|4||Dr. P. JAYARAMAN||B.E, M.E., Ph.D.||Professor||21 Years|
|5||Dr.P.RAJA||B.E, M.E., Ph.D.||Associate Professor||16 Years|
|6||Mr.N. RAMASAMY||B.E., M.E.,(Ph.D)||Assistant Professor||16 Years|
|7||Mr.R. RAGAVENDRAN||B.E., M.E.,||Assistant Professor||14 Years|
|8||Mr.P. SARMAJI KUMAR||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||13 Years|
|9||Mr.N.GOPINATH||B.E.,M.E||Assistant Professor||21 Years|
|10||Mr.R. KARTHICK||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||8 Years|
|11||Mr.K.BALACHANDAR||B.E., M. Tech.,(Ph.D)||Assistant Professor||6 Years|
|12||Mr.D.MEGANATHAN||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||6 Years|
|13||Mr.T.THIRUMALAI||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||6 Years|
|14||Mr G.LOGACHANDAR||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||6 Years|
|15||Mr M.SATHYA PRAKASH||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||4 Years|
|16||Mr B.SEENU||B.E., M.E.||Assistant Professor||3 Years|
|17||Mr.R.PRABU||B.E.,M.E||Assistant Professor||3 Years|
|18||Mr.K.SIVARAMAKRISHNAN||B.E.,M.E||Assistant Professor||2 Years|
|19||Mr.M.ANBUMUTHURAJA||B.E.,M.E||Assistant Professor||10 Months|
|20||Mr.P.AMIRTHALINGAM||B.E.,M.E||Assistant Professor||10 Months|
|21||Mr.D.ARUNKUMAR||B.E.,M.E||Assistant Professor||1 Year|
|22||Mrs.P.MAGESWARI||B.E., M.E||Assistant Professor||10 Months|
NON TEACHING STAFF
|S.NO||NAME OF THE STAFF||QUALIFICATION||DESIGNATION||EXPERIENCE|
|1||RAMALINGAM.S||ITI||Lab technician||20 YRS|
|2||BABU.B.K||ITI||Skilled attender||17 YRS|
|3||ANNAMALAI. N||I.T.I.||Skilled attender||5 YRS|
|4||CHENCHIAH R||ESLC||Office attender||5 YRS|
|Co-Curricular Activities||Extra – Curricular Activities||
|Organized||Participated||Details||Total no. of participation||Details|
|2017 – 18||6||68||View||4||View||View|
|2016 – 17||3||25||View||12||View||View|
The Mechanical Engineering department strives to be recognized globally for outstanding education and research leading to well-qualified engineers, who are having sound technical knowledge with ground-breaking approach and to develop entrepreneurial skills among the students to cater the ever changing industrial demands and communal requirements.
- To impart quality education to the students of Mechanical Engineering to excel in their chosen field.
- To develop state-of-the-art research facilities for stakeholders to excel in globally competitive world.
- To develop associations with educational institutes, R&D organizations and industries and for prominence teaching, research and consultancy.
- To provide the students with academic environment of excellence, leadership and ethical guidelines and lifelong learning required for a prolonged fruitful career.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
To train the graduates to be excellent in engineering profession by updating technical skill-sets and applying new ideas as the technology evolves.
To enable the graduates to excel in professional career and /or higher education by acquiring knowledge in mathematical, calculation and engineering principles.
To enable the graduates to be competent to grasp, analyze, design, and create new products and solutions for the real time problems that are technically advanced, economically feasible and socially acceptable.
To enable the graduates to pursue a productive career as a member of multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams, with an appreciation for the value of ethic and cultural diversity and an ability to relate engineering issues to broader social context.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs)
Engineering Students will be able to be:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of Mathematics, Science, Engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex Engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and Engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex Engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex Engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional Engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional Engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and the need for sustainable developments.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the Engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex Engineering activities with the Engineering Community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the Engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multi-disciplinary environments.
- Life -long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life- long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OUTCOMES(PSOs):
Apply their technical knowledge in the domain of engineering mechanics, fluid, material and thermal sciences to solve engineering problems by employing highly developed technology.
Effectively apply the principles of design, analysis and solve engineering problems relating to mechanical systems together with allied engineering streams.
Develop and implement new ideas on product design and development with the help of modern CAD/CAM tools, while ensuring most excellent manufacturing practices.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes